In the event of a claim you should:

  • To use all means within its reach to reduce or avoid aggravating the losses resulting from the accident and to save the insured property;
  • Not to remove or alter, or consent to the removal or alteration of, any traces of the claim without prior agreement from the insurer;
  • Providing safekeeping, conservation and improvement of salvage;
  • Notify the insurer, in writing, of the occurrence of any of the covered events, within a maximum of eight days from the date of their knowledge, indicating the day, time, known or presumed cause, nature and probable amount of the losses;
  • Provide the insurer with all evidence requested, as well as all reports or other documents it has or may obtain.

Care to be taken

Proportional Rule

It consists in the possible application of the legally established provisions for the case in which the insured capital is lower than the cost of reconstruction (in the case of buildings) or the cost of new replacement (in the case of furniture and furnishings).

In this case, the insured party will be liable for the proportional part of the losses, as if it were insuring the surplus. For example, suppose you have a building that would cost EUR 50,000 to rebuild, but you only declare EUR 40,000 for the determination of the insured sum. This means that the insurer will only be liable for 80% of the loss (40,000: 50,000), leaving the insured liable for the remaining 20% (10,000: 50,000). If, in this example, there was a claim that caused damages of €7,500, the insurer would only compensate €6,000 (80% of 7,500), leaving the insured to bear the remaining €1,500.